Sunday, July 23, 2006

Film Fuck-You-Then

This weekend, Channel 4 encouraged viewers to expand their cinematic knowledge (and by proxy promote the fact that FilmFour is coming to Freeview) by informing us of 50 essential films that everyone should see, or as they put it, 50 Films to See Before You Die.

They attempted to do this via the unusual method of showing all the endings and revealing every twist and surprise in them.

Whose brilliant idea was that then? If I had to guess, I would say it was probably Iain Lee. The lanky alleged comedian and full-time TV talking head has built a career out of ruining the enjoyment of films and TV programmes.

Why bother writing jokes when you can just spoil Fight Club for anyone who hasn't seen it?

In any case the whole exercise was academic as far as I'm concerned, as we won't be able to pick up FilmFour anyway.

It joins a handful of channels that someone has decreed should not be available to the likes of me, or at least only once in a blue moon when the planets are aligned and the wind is blowing in the right direction.

I can't say it's bothered me up until this point - most of the output of the channels that are MIA seems to be wall-to-wall music videos and some camp bloke pretending to talk to ghosts.

I suppose I could just stop being such a cheapskate and buy a satellite dish, but why should I? I like getting stuff for free - and anyway, if they didn't want you to take them, why would they put the Milky Ways in the CCTV blind spot in the newsagent's?

No comments: